Manage Store Credit and Gift Cards
View existing store credit and gift cards in the Store Credit page located at Main > Customers > Store Credit. Use the More Actions button to edit or delete a store credit or gift card.
To Credit or Not to Credit
...that is the question. The key distinction between credits and refunds on returns is that refunds affect the order balance, whereas credits do not.
- Use credits to make payments adjustments while maintaining the need to collect on the original balance. For example, if you want to switch payment types, you can credit the existing payment while maintaining the original balance for collection by the new payment type.
- Use refunds to provide appeasements to the customer. When you refund, you return money to the customer, thereby reducing the order balance without requiring another payment to make up the difference.
Create a Credit or Gift Card
To create a new store credit or gift card for a customer:
- Go to Main > Customers > Store Credit.
- Click Create New Store Credit.
- Specify a store credit or a gift card in the Credit Type drop-down menu.
- Enter a unique code to identify the store credit or gift card.
- Select an activation date and expiration date for the store credit or gift card. Note: If you leave these fields blank, the activation date assumes the current date and the expiration date assumes a date one year from the current date minus a day.
- Enter an Amount for the value of the store credit or gift card.
- (Optional) Select a shopper to apply the store credit or gift card to using the Customer drop-down menu.
- Click Save.